Large Dylan backpack - sewing pattern and tutorial
About the project
Do you know that sensation of joy and pride that you get when you wear self made accessories? How about adding a courier backpack to the list of your creations.
Dylan backpack is defined by a simple form, but has many interesting details as well. Size L of this backpack was designed with men in mind, but it's all up to personal preferences.
I know you like pockets. Dylan backpack has 4 of them! They will help you stay organized during trips or everyday errands. At the front there are 2 zippered pockets, including one that has a quite unique shape. Inside you will find one more zippered pocket, that is large enough to keep your valuables safe. On the side there is a small, but handy, slip pocket which you can use e.g. to store a pack of tissues or a hand sanitizer.
You can get to the main compartment of the backpack in 2 ways - from the top and from the side. The side zippered opening is a practical solution that offers a quick access to carried items.
The backpack is fully lined, no raw edges are showing. All of this without any use of a bias or other kind of binding tape!
The back panel and shoulder straps of this backpack are slightly padded for extra comfort.
Dylan backpack is an interesting design that you can make for yourself or offer your customers! The licence of this product allows you to sew backpacks for sale (read more in "Sew & Sell" section).
From the sewing instruction you will learn:
- how to cut out all the necessary pieces to make this backpack
- how to stiffen the backpack to hold its shape nicely
- how to sew 3 kinds of zippered pockets
- how to sew a side slip pocket
- how to sew a side zippered opening
- how to finish the backpack with a lining
- how to sew shoulder straps and strap connectors
- ...and more :)
Size of a finished product:
- height: 41 cm (16 1/8")
- width: 29 cm (11 1/2")
- depth: 12 cm (4 3/4")
The product contains:
- 2 PDF files with the pattern (A4 and US letter size)
- 1 PDF file with 40-page instruction of sewing the bag, with a lot of photos and diagrams
- 1 PDF file with information on how to simplify the form of this backpack.
- Exterior fabric: 70 x 140 cm (28" x 55")
- Contrast fabric: 20 x 22 cm (8" x 9")
- Lining fabric: 90 x 140 cm (1 yd, fabric 55" wide)
- Webbing 25 mm (1") wide - you'll need about 2 m (2 1/4 yd). Additionally about 18 cm (7") long piece of 15 mm (5/8") wide tape for M size.
- 2 Side release buckles 25 mm (1") wide
- Hook and loop tape (optional) - 20-25 mm (3/4" - 1") wide, 20 cm (8") long
- 2 Strap adjusters (ladderlock buckles) 25 mm (1") wide
- 1 Zipper #3 that is 22 cm (9") long (length was calculated for continuous zipper)
- 4 Zippers #5 (lengths were calculated for continuous zipper)
- 1 pc. 29 cm (11.5") long
- 2 pcs 31 cm (12.5") long
- 1 pc. 45 cm (18") long
- 1 Reinforcement plate (you can make one by yourself)
- 1 Metal zipper end (optional)
- Interfacings - described in the tutorial
You're welcome to use this pattern to make items for your own use as well as for sale. We ask only to mention us in your online listing descriptions:
Note however, that all of the items for sale must be made personally by the pattern purchaser. Mass production is not allowed.
You may not sell or distribute our patterns and/or tutorials (or their parts) under no circumstances.
A free pattern is subject to the same rules – you may create items for sale with it, but we ask you to give us credit.
Please do not copy the pattern and claim as your own, and also do not share it directly on external sites. If you want to share the pattern - just post a link to our product page.