Olivia handbag in 2 sizes - sewing pattern and tutorial
About the project
Olivia looks like a classic box bag, but appearances are often deceptive! Its shape and construction are definitely more unusual, and with this pattern and detailed tutorial I will show you step by step how to sew this handbag.
The two most characteristic features of this bag are a decorative zipper panel that goes over the sides, and the interior that has been divided into 3 parts - a large central compartment and two side pockets. Such structure allows for better organization, so you can have all the necessary items on hand.
The front and back of the bag have darts, which gives it an interesting shape. All elements of the bag have been aesthetically finished with lining. The bag is worn on a detachable, adjustable shoulder strap, which is finished with contrasting, fabric tabs.
This is a perfect everyday bag, and you can make it in every color combination possible, to match your style and wardrobe.
From the sewing instruction you will learn:
- how to cut out all the necessary pieces to make this bag
- how to stiffen the bag to hold its shape nicely
- how to sew darts
- how to sew an unusual zipper panel
- how to finish the bag with a lining
- how to make a bag with divided interior
- how to sew strap connectors that go through the zipper panel
- how to sew an adjustable shoulder strap with fabric tabs
Size of a finished product:
The bag is difficult to measure, so the dimensions given below are approximate (especially the depth, which has been averaged :)).
- height: 17 cm (6.5")
- width: 25 cm (10")
- depth: 13 cm (5")
- height: 22 cm (8.5")
- width: 30 cm (12")
- depth: 15 cm (6")
The product contains:
- 4 PDF files with the pattern in 2 sizes (A4 and US letter size)
- 1 PDF file with 24-page instruction of sewing the bag, with a lot of photos and diagrams
- 1 PDF file with information: How to attach rivets, eyelets and snaps
- exterior fabric:
- M: 60 x 140 cm (24" x 55") [or 30 x 140 cm (12" x 55")] - depending on how the pieces are cut out
- L: 75 x 140 cm (30" x 55") [or 40 x 140 cm (16" x 55")] - depending on how the pieces are cut out
- contrast fabric:
- M: 15 x 140 cm (6" x 55")
- L: 25 x 140 cm (10" x 55")
- lining fabric:
- M: 55 x 140 cm (22" x 55") [or 35 x 140 cm) (14" x 55")] - depending on how the pieces are cut out
- L: 70 x 140 cm (28" x 55") [or 55 x 140 cm (22" x 55")] - depending on how the pieces are cut out
- webbing - 30 mm (1 1/4") wide
- continuous zipper #5 (5 mm) and 2 zipper pulls (or standard zipper):
- M: 35 cm (14") long
- L: 42-45 cm (17-18") long
- 2 swivel clips - 20 mm (3/4") wide in M size, and 25 mm (1") wide in L size
- 2 D-rings - 20 mm (3/4") wide in M size, and 25 mm (1") wide in L size
- 1 strap adjuster 30 mm (1 1/4") wide for both sizes
- 1 rectangle ring 30 mm (1 1/4") wide for both sizes
- 4 snaps
- 2 rivets (optional)
- interfacings - described in the tutorial
You're welcome to use this pattern to make items for your own use as well as for sale. We ask only to mention us in your online listing descriptions:
Note however, that all of the items for sale must be made personally by the pattern purchaser. Mass production is not allowed.
You may not sell or distribute our patterns and/or tutorials (or their parts) under no circumstances.
A free pattern is subject to the same rules – you may create items for sale with it, but we ask you to give us credit.
Please do not copy the pattern and claim as your own, and also do not share it directly on external sites. If you want to share the pattern - just post a link to our product page.